The Notre Dame Fighting Irish finished with two overtime ties to Western Michigan this past weekend, tying 3-3 on Friday night and 1-1 on Saturday evening. Both games ended up going to shootouts, with the Irish coming out on top in the second of the two.
Notre Dame came in at No. 11 overall in the most recent USCHO.com rankings. A successful weekend series against the No. 8 team in the nation would have elevated their status even higher, but the Irish likely won't go anywhere now after tying twice on the road in Kalamazoo, Mich.
Three different players scored goals in Friday night's tie, with Austin Wuthrich putting the game a 3-3 with just under nine minutes to play in the third period. Both teams scored in the first period of Saturday's action, but that would be the last time anyone got on the board until the overtime shootout.
At 19-12-3 overall the Irish have just one series left with Bowling Green on their regular season schedule. The CCHA Championship begins March 8.
More from SB Nation:
• Daytona Nationwide race ends with scary wreck
• Full coverage of 2013 Daytona 500
• The List: 20 sentences guaranteed to start an Internet argument
• Full coverage of UFC 157: Rousey vs. Carmouche
• NFL Combine: Fat linemen running the 40 will inspire you
• Stupid things said at the NFL Combine