Chicago, IL (Sports Network) – Ted Lilly threw seven strong innings and Alfonso Soriano hit two home runs to lead the Chicago Cubs over the Pittsburgh Pirates, 3-1, in the middle installment of a three-game set.
Lilly (3-6) gave up the one run on six hits and a walk, and struck out five for the Cubs, who dropped Monday’s opener.
This Sports Network recap is… well, a bit short. A few other highlights from Tuesday night:
- Lilly struck out five and walked only one
- Sean Marshall pitched an efficient eighth inning
- Carlos Marmol struck out two and posted his 14th save
- The weather was coolish, 65 degrees at game time, and Soriano’s homers were both hit despite the wind blowing in
- The two teams will meet for the decisive match of the series Wednesday afternoon at 1:20, with Tom Gorzelanny facing Brad Lincoln