The contract dispute between the Chicago Bears and Matt Forte took another turn last week when Forte showed his displeasure with Chicago inking running back Michael Bush before working out a new deal with the incumbent starter. Monday evening, both the Chicago Tribune and Chicago Sun-Times reported the Bears had a made a "strong offer" to Forte. But is it a new offer, or same deal Forte has been rejecting all along?
Here's what the Sun-Times says:
Bears president and CEO Ted Phillips told the Sun-Times Monday evening that the club has made Pro Bowl running back Matt Forte a "strong offer" and that they're hopeful he'll accept it.
"I think not only do we appreciate him and have told him so, but I think the offer we've made him shows that, too. Now, different people can disagree on the ultimate value," Phillips said. "But we feel we've made a strong offer to him, and are still hopeful he accepts it."
Here's what the Trib says:
Phillips said general manager Phil Emery and team negotiator Cliff Stein have had contract discussions with Forte agent Adisa Bakari and there is a long-term contract on the table. Phillips said Forte has been given a "very strong offer," which is reflective of Forte's value as one of the NFL's top running backs.
Again, there's no way of knowing if the Bears have increased their offer.