There were small rumblings connecting the Chicago Bears to retired quarterback Brett Favre given their struggles at the position, but a high-ranking Bears official told ESPN's Ed Werner on Tuesday that the team wasn't interested in adding the former Packers great.
Favre, 42, hasn't played this year since after spending 20 seasons in the NFL. It was never even clear whether he had interest in returning to the league, although reports did mention earlier this week that Favre would at least listen. But the Bears aren't going to come calling reportedly, as they have no interest in Favre, and Bears head coach Lovie Smith told reporters today that the team is okay with the quarterbacks they have:
"That's our group. We're going to make improvements with our group. We're not looking on the outside. We won't have a quarterback tryout or anything like that."
That means Caleb Hanie will continue as the team's starter and Josh McCown will continue to be his back-up. Nathan Enderle is the third-stringer. The Bears offense has struggled mightily without starting quarterback Jay Cutler, but they'll charge on with in-house options.